Friday, January 4, 2013

What is Cystic Fibrosis?????

Here is a quick run down on what CF is and what CF is to me.

Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease (thanks Mom & Dad) affecting the lungs, pancreas, liver, intestines and fertility. Many ask, yes, I had a cousin with CF who sadly passed away. Moreover, CF wasn’t really recognized until the mid-1900’s, so there’s suspicion CF may have caused infant deaths back in my family tree. Since infant deaths were unfortunately common at the turn of the century, we really don’t know. And for the rest of you, 1 in 25 of European descent is a carrier, so it’s not uncommon.

Lungs -- Difficulty breathing accompanied by heavy coughing is the most serious symptom resulting in frequent lung and sinus infections. Lung disease can persist due to mucus build-up, decreased clearance and resulting inflammation. So I have to focus on staying healthy, keeping my lungs clear and staying on top of a plethora of therapies and treatments for my breathing.

Digestion -- I was part of the 5-10% with an intestinal blockage requiring immediate surgery at birth, a condition called meconium ileus. From there, the mucus clogging my lungs also clogs the exocrine movement of digestive enzymes. Thus, I have an inability to breakdown and digest food efficiently. This leads to malabsorption and malnutrition. I also have difficulties absorbing fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. To compensate, I take synthetic enzymes and water soluble vitamins.  However, this results in me needing to closely monitor my weight and nutrition.

Diabetes -- Due to the damage CF caused to my pancreas, my body recently began not producing enough insulin. It results in a Type 1 and 2 hybrid diabetes. I have symptoms of Type 2 with the insulin dependency of Type 1. I am on a carb counting system where I take insulin shots accordingly. Many ask if I can control my diet to limit the need for injections. Unfortunately, the need for high levels of carbs and calories to stay healthy with CF limits my ability to control the diabetes with diet.  

Lastly, fun with infertility. I will make it quick, I lack a vas deferens, bam. No worries, though.  Clearly, we found ways around that small kink in the plumbing. Enter GAVIN. We had to do In Vitro Fertilization after a small procedure and quality time with a bag of frozen peas. Regardless, Gavin is here.

That is a snapshot of what CF is and what CF has been to me. Tune in again to learn more. And always feel free to ask any questions.

1 comment:

  1. So very proud of you for starting this blog. You are certainly "taking the bull by the horns". Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing. Keep posting, please.

    ReplyDelete