Monday, January 7, 2013

My Medicine Cabinet is a Closet

This is a day in the life of my medicine cabinet:

Pulmozyme (Dornase Alfa) is an inhaled medication through a nebulizer. It takes 10-15 minutes per treatment and I do two treatments daily. CF causes your body to produce extra thick, sticky mucus in your lungs. Pulmozyme uniquely targets the extracellular DNA, acting like scissors in the mucus. It cuts up the DNA strands outside the cell attributing to the problem causing the mucus issue. Pulmozyme helps improve lung functions and reduce risk of respiratory tract infections.

Hypertonic Saline is another inhaled medication administered through a nebulizer. This solution takes 20-25 minutes per treatment, with two treatments daily. Hypertonic Saline is a mucoactive agent and is used to hydrate thick mucus in order to make it easier to cough up. Removing the damaging mucus from my lungs is a key for success.

Advair is an inhaled medication administered through an inhalant diskus. I take one puff twice a day. Advair prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation and is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing muscles in the airways to improve breathing. It is also used to prevent flare-ups or worsening of chronic obstructions.

Azithromycin is very common and most people are familiar with this basic oral antibiotic. This is the drug used in the popular ‘Z-pak’. I take it three times a week as a preventative aid. This antibiotic is one of the world’s best selling used to treat and prevent bacterial infections. It is used to help boost CF patients potentially weakened immune system.

Creon is a type of pancreatic enzyme supplement. I take 5-6 capsules with every meal and 2-3 capsules with every snack. I have taken enzymes since birth. Creon treats my inability to normally digest food because the pancreas does not make enough enzymes. It improves the digestion of fats, proteins, and sugars.

Source CF is a multi vitamin I take twice daily. Source CF is water soluble and contains vitamins A, B, D, E, K and Zinc. Due to my inability to efficiently process fat soluble vitamins, this is a very important supplement for proper nutrition.

Additionally, I have a couple as needed medications. Examples are Flonase and Albuterol, both of which I have on hand and use on a monthly basis just not daily. And no doubt there is a plethora of other medications I dabble in from time to time when my health requires it. And while my list is long, it’s shorter than is used to be and smaller than many with CF. I also left out insulin for my diabetes; I figured I would leave that for another day.

Well, I had better get going. I’m sure there is some medication I am supposed to be taking right now.

P.S. Most, if not all, of these medications have been made possible because of donations to research organizations specializing in Cystic Fibrosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment